Raise the Jolly Roger, the Bucs have finally done it! With last night’s win, it’s official: no matter what happens the rest of this season, the Pittsburgh Pirates will end the season over .500. In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past 20 years, let me be the first to tell you that this hasn’t happened since 1992.
To give you a better idea of what that means, I’ve included a few facts:
- PNC Park has been around for 12 years…and this is the stadium’s first winning season
- When the Pirates last had a winning season, OJ Simpson was just a football player-turned-actor
- The final season of Cheers premiered in the fall of ‘92
- Johnny Carson was hosting The Tonight Show when the Bucs started their last winning season
- The average gas price in 1992 was $1.47
- 1992-1993 was Bill Cowher’s first season as Steelers Head Coach
- Since ’92, the Steelers have won 2 Super Bowls and the Penguins won the Stanley Cup
- During the Bucs’ losing streak, N’SYNC, Backstreet Boys, 98° and Spice Girls formed, broke up, and reunited
- Since 1992, two new Pittsburgh professional sports teams were founded: the Pittsburgh Riverhounds joined Major League Soccer and Pittsburgh Power joined the Arena Football League
- Three years after the last Bucco winning season, the DVD was invented
- The iPod was invented nine years after the Pirates finished over .500
- There have been six Presidential Elections between October 1992 and now
- And most shockingly: Over half of current college students were not alive the last time the Pittsburgh Pirates had a winning season.
But we can forget all of those facts now, because the Pirates won 82 games. So sit back and enjoy the rest of the season…even if you did happen to recently move out from under a rock. There’s ALWAYS time before playoffs to buy one of BurghLife’s popular Keystone Bucco T-shirts at Caseys Draft House!